Do you and your spouse go on date nights regularly?
Whether you’re newlyweds or have been married for 20 years; whether you’re new parents or have a school-aged kid, you’ve probably read how important it is to set aside quality time to reconnect with your spouse.
It is sooooo easy to get caught up in the craziness of day-to-day life – working full-time, driving your child to and from daycare/school, trying to have healthy meals for everyone every day – that date night with your mate tends to fall by the wayside for many of us working moms. But marriage is a long-term commitment that takes work, and you need to make time to communicate with each other, and just enjoy each other’s company.
So start small. Some couples can do the weekly dates, but for others it can be a challenge. For us, we don’t have many options for babysitting, so when we are able to get a babysitter, we try to make the best of our “date time.”
Whether you want to go out or are fine staying in, here are some ideas for date night with your mate – for any budget!
- Dinner – I wasn’t going to post any “standard” date ideas, but when Hubby and I were out driving around a few days ago, I realized there were several new restaurants that had sprouted up in our area. We don’t go out to eat often, but I started thinking that trying out one of these new restaurants might be a good idea the next time we go out. If it’s a chain restaurant, maybe check out their website, and also Yelp.com to get an idea of the kind of food they serve, and if it’s a dressy or casual type of place to eat.
- Cooking Class – would you like to make your own meal? Places like Sur La Table offer many different themed cooking classes, perfect for couples. You can cook a Tuscan-inspired meal, make dessert, etc.
- Dancing Lessons – you may have a restaurant by you that offers a free salsa lesson. Do an online search for places in your area that may offer free dance lessons. Or you can try an intro class at a local dance studio.
- Play – putt-putt golf, go-carts, arcade, batting cages, bowling – have some fun!
- Sporting event – if you both love sports, this is a fun option. Attend a baseball, football, basketball, hockey, etc. game in your area, depending on the season. Wear gear supporting your team, enjoy a hot dog and cheer your team on!
- Concert – great choice for music-lovers. My husband and I enjoy attending concerts whenever we can.
- Karaoke – my husband and I met online, but our first “date” was at a karaoke bar. Since I’m Filipino, I have easy access to a karaoke machine – it almost seems like a staple in every Filipino household! Seriously, though, you can go out on a karaoke night to a local bar and have some fun singing songs and having an audience.
- Spa day – why not make a date of it, and both get pampered? Chances are spas in your area offer couples massages, and in special suites specifically for couples.
- Lots of places have adult-themed events – our local zoo will have things like “Zoo Brew” or “Romance at the Zoo” all year round.
- Meetups – check out Meetup.com for pretty much anything, and then go and attend one as a date. You can wind up canoeing, wine-tasting, hiking, going on a photo walk, etc.
- Livingsocial and Groupon are other great places to look for ideas for what’s going on in your area.
- Depending on the time of year or where you live, you can have a nice candlelit picnic dinner and stroll in the park. You can obviously do this during the day, too.
- Skating rink – go roller-skating or roller-blading at the local rink
- You can also just stay in and have dinner and a movie at home. Order a pizza, or cook a meal together in your own kitchen! To add some fun, if you have a gaming system, make it something like an “Xbox” night and play a game for 2 people!
When was the last time you went on a date – with your mate? Do you get to have a date night on a regular basis? What other date night/day ideas do you have? Comment below!
Did you enjoy this post? Please share with your friends!